Logo
Lion Cub and the Supermoon Eclipse is a blog post from the BeetleCam, Zambia category.

Lion Cub and the Supermoon Eclipse

Posted by Will on

I am currently in South Luangwa National Park in Zambia. A month ago I found out I was going to be here during a “supermoon” total lunar eclipse. This would be the last opportunity to photograph such an occurrence for 18 years! I immediately set about planning how I could take a photograph of this phenomenon with an African twist.

My friends at Bushcamp Company kindly helped obtain permission from the Zambian Wildlife Authority to work in the national park at night.

At 2:45am this morning, I set out in search of subjects. I had a number of potential shots planned out but I knew I would need to remain flexible as I couldn’t control the opportunities that would present themselves.

I first went to where I had seen lions the evening before. On arrival, the lions had gone but I could hear their faint roars in the distance. I followed the sound through the African night and eventually found the lions just as the eclipse was starting.

There was only one tool that would allow me to frame the lions with the eclipse behind… my trusty BeetleCam!

I was after a shot of a lion under the blood moon. This was going to be a challenging shot to achieve for so many reasons! Balancing the foreground brightness with the dim red moon was an exercise in guestimation, as was trying to compose the shot in the pitch darkness. And of course, I had to do this while trying to avoid the pride of lions running off with my BeetleCam! However, I persevered and shortly before the moonset, this is the shot I managed to get…

Lion Eclipse

A lion cub with the supermoon eclipse behind. Taken with a Canon EOS 5D mk III and 17-40mm f/4 lens on a BeetleCam. f/13, 8 seconds, ISO 3200. Off-camera flash triggered with Camtraptions Wireless Trigger. Plus approximately a month of planning and a spot of luck 🙂

19 Comments

1. Sanjeev Chadha said: September 28, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Dear. Lucas ,
    Great shot , honest effort with dedication always lead the
    way to success in life every time , wish you a good luck
    for many more heart and award winning shot during stay

2. Pamela Hetzel said: September 28, 2015 at 12:54 pm

A wonderful picture!!

3. Yvonne said: September 28, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Excellent such beauty, in a country I love but have not visited yet, but hope to do so soon. your photography is stunning and I aspire to taking beautiful shots as you do.

4. Shirley Aung said: September 28, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Hi Will, well done for getting this beautiful shot! Luangwa was where I grew up so seeing this photo is particularly special to me! Hope you have a very good time! Stay cool! 🙂 Hope it’s OK that I shared this photo on Save Our Rhino. ( I’m an Admin on SOR which I do while babysitting for Richard’s 2 boys! ) Keep up the great work you do! Take care, Shirley Aung

5. dora nelly gamboa said: September 28, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Espectacular!!!

6. Rebecca Troyer said: September 28, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Beautifu!!! Your patience paid off!!!

7. Cheryl said: September 28, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Excellent photo, I lived in South Africa for just over 2 years and visited Zambia so really appreciate this photograph and the work involved!

8. Andrea Sievert said: September 29, 2015 at 5:27 am

Great picture. Love it …

9. Suzy said: September 30, 2015 at 2:05 am

This is an absolutely incredible capture! Worth framing.

10. Chris said: September 30, 2015 at 8:40 pm

That’s wonderful! Great job!

11. Chris said: September 30, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Beautiful too!

12. Joanne Hutchinson said: September 30, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Thank you so much for this amazing shot. I turned 58 years old on Sept.28th and this was the best Birthday present I could have received. I have a charity in Mongu, Zambia. A little ways from where you were but Zambia non the less. Keep up the great work. I have some amazing shots from my last visit in Aug.2015 but have not had time to post them on my web site yet so check it out in a month or so if you have time. They are not any where near as good as yours. Thanks for what you do. Joanne

13. Joanne Hutchinson said: September 30, 2015 at 11:21 pm

PS forgot to tell you my great nephew`s name is Lucas. Cheers!

14. Joanne Hutchinson said: September 30, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Sorry me again. I hope you go back there in 18 years time to get another shot. It will be my 76th Birthday. LOL

15. Mujon said: October 7, 2015 at 8:23 am

Gorgeous shot! Question: At an eight second shutter speed, how is the lion not blurred???

16. michael said: October 8, 2015 at 9:19 am

Just stunning. Most beautiful picture I have ever seen. Thanks for sharing.

17. Schott,Gerd-Lutz said: October 9, 2015 at 5:09 pm

It`s a Danger dream to see such wondefull eclipse again.In
    Germany Impossible.
    cheersd G.Schott

18. Schott,Gerd-Lutz said: October 11, 2015 at 6:57 pm

a great photo

19. Christian Staunton said: October 16, 2015 at 1:23 am

Wow, that’s a great shot Will, very clever. I found myself in the Atacama desert for the eclipse – not many better places in the world to see it. Sadly no lions to photograph alongside it though!

Please Leave a Comment