Logo
Introducing BeetleCopter and Camtraptions is a blog post from the News category.

Introducing BeetleCopter and Camtraptions

Posted by Will on

Happy New Year everyone!

First of all, sorry for the lack of updates to this blog. Since returning from Zambia in August, a couple of projects have been keeping me rather busy: BeetleCopter and Camtraptions.

BeetleCopter is the next instalment of the BeetleCam Project. I have built a remote-control multirotor copter for my camera (actually, I have built several to accommodate different sized cameras ranging from a GoPro up to Canon 5D Mark III). The camera is attached to a stabilised gimbal suspended under the body of copter.

BeetleCopter in the Serengeti

Last month I took my new BeetleCopters to the Serengeti in Tanzania for testing. The following footage is a result of two weeks of experimentation. It was shot on a GoPro Hero 3+ (I could have used a larger camera but the lighter GoPro gave me longer flight times). To get this footage I was sometimes a kilometre away from the copter, operating it via a live video feed. These devices have incredible potential in wildlife filmmaking and photography; they are quieter and more manoeuvrable than a normal helicopter so they can get closer to animals with minimal disturbance. I will soon be returning to Africa with my BeetleCopters so make sure you follow me on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to be the first to see the results!

Now, without further ado, I present BeetleCopter in the Serengeti:

My second announcement of the year is the launch of Camtraptions.

Camtraptions is a company that I have set up to develop products for remote and camera trap photography. The initial product line consists of BeetleCams and Remote-control Copters. We will soon also be launching new products for camera trap wildlife photography. For news and announcements about the latest product developments, please subscribe to the Camtraptions newsletter.

Camtraptions: Remote + Camera Trap Photography

I wish you all the very best for 2014!

34 Comments

1. Ivan said: January 20, 2014 at 1:23 pm

Hi,
    Congratulations your invention is amazing. Is it already available on the market?

2. Pablo said: January 22, 2014 at 10:35 pm

Just amazing views Will, what kind of camera & module did you use for serengeti film (Eagle)?, it can be used in to a krestel module?…and last question, how is it performing above 4000mts over sea level?

3. Gary said: January 26, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Thank you so much for both your creativity and willingness to share the technology and info. This new combination will not only provide astounding views of otherwise unviewable scenes but should also open up worlds none of us have even dreamed of understanding yet. Your photography will no doubt assist public opinion to support conservation of habitat to maintain these wonderful animals.

4. Dave Cattell said: February 11, 2014 at 3:38 am

Will,
    Great to see you are keeping the BBC on their toes.
    Brilliant stuff.
    I want one. I did apply for a job at Airware – they build em too (no joys though).
    Dave.

5. Roman said: February 15, 2014 at 8:22 pm

hi
    just have been watching this amazing video from Serengeti and the other Pictures ,incredible!!!,congratulations!
    just wonder if there is such chance do it under the water?,fe.built a “fish cam”?!

6. Pradeep said: February 15, 2014 at 9:06 pm

One word. Beautiful! This will change the way we look at wildlife photography.

One question – few shots were taken from very close to the animals, and they seemed to be unperturbed. Weren’t they at least curious at the sight of the contraption?

7. Vinod Krishna said: April 1, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Breathtaking !!! Absolutely loved the video.

8. Eduardo Veiga said: April 8, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Excellent work struck me pictures and music.
    You can cite the interpreter soundtrack?

9. paddoo prasad said: April 9, 2014 at 1:00 am

This is really nice invention. You can now have close up scenes of nature. I love nature, and adventure. I am looking for someone who is beautiful and kind too, who wants to backpack and travel with me. I love camping and sight seeing. How about you? Text me at 07459165906

10. Marios said: April 9, 2014 at 8:50 pm

I viewed you site by mistake! I must admit that since today mornig, not only I have seen all of your pictures and videos, but I admit that you became my favourite wildlife photographer and videographer! Keep up the good work!

11. Trudy Royster said: April 24, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Truly magnificent! What a glorious job you have done creating the beetlecopter! So professional and yet just a remote control! Impressive talent!!!

12. David Harper said: April 26, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Great stuff Will, can’t help but think this could be utilized in the fight against poachers with the use of a thermal imager onboard at night, yes I know they are damn expensive but less so than the priceless animals being poached!
    The possibilities are endless!
    ATB, Dave

13. Melissa S said: April 27, 2014 at 6:33 pm

These pictures on your site and this video is amazing! From someone who may not ever get a chance to see the wildlife in Africa, it is wonderful how you document these pictures for everyone to see. Beautiful!

14. Joanne Small said: April 28, 2014 at 10:32 am

Just heavenly, thank you for sharing this, I have had a very stressful day, and I could feel the stress just melt away, again Thank you

Please Leave a Comment